Friday, March 25, 2011

A Meeting

The Scottish boy
And the Philippine girl
Sat in the coffee shop
They had known each other
For a few years
She loved him
More than he loved her
But he liked her
She was young and wild
She made him laugh
Amongst other things

Her problem was
She was not a UK citizen
And her financial management skills
Were non-existent
And at this coffee meeting
She was out of work
No income
No social security
No safety net
Basically living on her wits
But she kind of
Took it in her stride
As if it was normal
And it did not stop her from smiling

“Frank, can you give me £100 please?”
“Why? I gave you £100 last month”
“I know but I have rent to pay, food to buy
Plus travel expenses”
“Do you think I have a tree that grows money?”
“You have a good job and a house.
You have everything.
You are a millionaire.
I have nothing”
“Are you trying to get a job?”
“Everyday I go on the internet
I go to the Job Centre
I go to interviews
It’s always the same shit.
And I’m behind with my rent.”
“Really?”
“My Landlord says he is going to kick me out
Unless I give him some money soon”
“Where will you live if he kicks you out?”
“I don’t know,” she said giggling
“I’m glad you can laugh,” he said
She looked into his eyes
And laughed
“I have to laugh
My situation is so bad
If I cry I won’t be able to stop.”
What a wonderful spirit she had
Somewhere inside of her

He took out his wallet…


A Magnetto Influence Poem

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home